R&D Materials & Environmental Compliance Assistant
The Materials and Environmental Compliance Assistant works closely with R&D, Purchasing, Quality, and Engineering to manage Safety Data Sheets (SDS) of new and current chemicals/materials and maintain the company’s SDS management system. The position supports the Senior Regulatory Compliance Engineer to help execute the company’s regulatory compliance strategy and help ensure the company’s compliance needs are met. This includes working closely with Northwire’s suppliers, Purchasing and Customer Service teams to help ensure the material and regulatory compliance needs of NWI’s customers are met. Specific responsibilities include ensuring the organization is compliant with RoHS, REACH, and other environmental directives, providing material compliance and disclosure documentation upon request, and completing chemical reporting per OSHA requirements. This individual will also assess in-house manufacturing operations in accordance with various environmental monitoring programs, along with assisting the Safety Team in the assessment, testing, and monitoring of air quality. This position may also include safety assignments outside the scope of air quality, along with tasks to assist the R&D and Engineering Departments on various materials-related items.
- Accurate data entry into the SDS management system
- Verify material compliance to RoHS, REACH, and other environmental directives, working closely with Purchasing to obtain necessary documentation from suppliers
- Complete material declarations and reports upon request
- Assist Safety Team with air quality testing and other safety-related assignments
- Assist R&D, Senior Regulatory Compliance Engineer and other Engineering Departments as needed.
- Participate in development of department and company standards and procedures to ensure quality of work and security of data
- Request regulatory documentation, updated SDS and clarification as needed from NWI suppliers
- Review, compile and organize regulatory data and documentation from NWI’s suppliers
- Regulatory compliance support and data entry
- Follow compliance, safety and other relevant NWI standard operating procedures and work instructions
- Communicate timing and provide progress updates to customers as needed on pending regulatory requests
- All other duties as assigned
- Proficient with Microsoft Excel, Word, and other MS applications
- Aptitude for mathematical formulas
- Problem solving and analytical skills
- Ability to learn new computer software (company ERP system, SDS management, etc.)
- Direct verbal and written communication style to support cross-functional involvement.
- Organizational skills
- Detail orientated with diligent documentation skills.
- Willingness to continue learning about evolving safety, regulatory and compliance topics as needed
- Interpersonal skills
- English Proficiency Level: C1 (Advanced)
This position does not have Supervisory responsibilities but will supply input to safety team, R&D Materials Engineer and Director of Research and Development.
This position operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, printers/scanners, and filing cabinets. Employee will be expected to go out to the production floor on a regular basis for safety and materials assessments and manufacturing support. Use of proper PPE will be required.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this position, it is frequently required to talk or listen to fellow team members, stand, walk, use full hand functions, and reach with hands and arms. Minimal lifting on infrequent basis may be required.
Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
Expected Hours of Work:
Hours of work and days are Monday through Friday and may vary based on business needs.
Minimal travel may (no more than 5%) be expected for this position (seminars).
No relocation expected for this position.
Required Education and Qualifications:
- 2-year engineering/technical/science-based degree or applicable experience (Degree preferably in a science-based discipline – i.e., chemistry, engineering, environmental science, biology, or other technical area of study)
- Strong organizational and communication skills
- Detail oriented, willingness to learn and highly adaptable
- Ability to understand and consistently apply standard operating procedures and work instructions within the role
- Possesses sound understanding of the importance of quality and previous experience working within standardized processes
- Experience working as part of a team and collaborating on larger objectives
Preferred Education and Experience:
- 4-year degree in science-based discipline
- 3 or more years of experience in material/environmental compliance or technical documentation
Northwire, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer – M/F/D/V