R&D Materials Engineer II
The R&D Materials Engineer II develops, tests, and analyzes results to prove test criteria and support the design decisions for new and existing products. This role provides the technical validity behind design decisions using reliable and repeatable test methods, protocols and procedures. The role also serves as a technical resource for various functions and as support across the company.
- Manages and owns R&D projects, schedules trials, and estimates the resources required.
- Develops novel characterization methods for measurement of product-level performance.
- Pursues development of intellectual property to protect technology development and secure the company’s competitive position.
- Conducts technical investigations to identify trends for materials in emerging markets that target and align with the objectives of the strategic sales roadmap.
- Creates test plans with test objectives, equipment, methods and instrumentation that will be used to collect the desired data.
- Oversees activities and tests by compliance engineers to ensure test design, equipment and data collection methods meet test requirements.
- Analyzes data to uncover trends, confirm test assumptions and build descriptive models to aid design decisions.
- Conducts and documents work at an appropriate quality level, including collection and interpretation of laboratory data, planning of research tasks, as well as assessing and applying a wide range of research techniques to those tasks.
- Regularly meets with vendors, procurement, and process engineering to review technical issues and qualification of new and obsolescent materials.
- Works with QA, Process Engineering, Operations, and Final Inspection during the pilot production phase of new raw materials to verify process capability and performance.
- Serves as a technical resource to others in the department and partners with other areas, such as Sales, Quality, and Design Engineering, to respond to existing performance concerns and proactively evaluates new and alternative methodologies, materials or designs.
- Supports problem solving, finding root cause and solutions, and training others as needed.
- Obtains exposure to multiple disciplines of technical study through education or projects to be able to provide a well-rounded perspective.
- Participates in development of department and Company standards and procedures to ensure quality of work and security of all data.
- Technical Capacity
- Problem Solving/Analysis
- Communication Proficiency
- Expertise in polymers
- Extrusion and mold processing experience
- Project Management
- Emerging Technologies
- Product Development
- English Proficiency
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Chemical, Material, Polymer engineering.
- 4-8 years of direct experience in materials research, testing, and process engineering or equivalent education and experience.
- Experience working in a manufacturing environment.
- Prior experience working with global teams.
Direct experience operating within an ISO 13485 QMS.
Northwire, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer – M/F/D/V